Monday, February 25, 2013

Getting Lost in Colombo



Galle Face

It was another one of those long weekends, so I decided to get lost in the city. I chucked my umbrella and a bottle of water into my backpack and draped my camera over my shoulders, put on my runners and went out to a cloudy Saturday morning. It rained a few minutes after I went out so I had a big use of the umbrella. My plan was to walk and find my way to the city’s Fort. Along the way, I passed Galle Face which surprisingly, despite the rain, was enlivened by a few, mostly couples, promenading or sitting in a romantic embrace on the benches along the beach, protecting their heads with umbrellas from the rains that continued to drop in trickles.  Luckily, the rain later on let up and the sun started to shine bright and hot.
Rain or shine date

In my efforts to find the fort, I ended up in naval restricted areas but was able to take some good photos along the way, retraced my steps back, discovered some buildings of European architecture and then got lost in a maze of narrow, busy side streets selling all kinds of merchandise from fruit drinks to chocolates to saris. One can get drowned in the multitude of products that one can buy here – just don't forget to try their delicious thirst quenching fruit shakes. It takes all the heat out of your body.

As I did not know where I was, I just got on a bus, dared myself to get back to my apartment using this public transport. Very luckily, I guess I got on the right bus because 10 minutes later, I saw a familiar place that I knew was just 10 minutes by walk to my place. I got off and walked the short distance, realizing that one cannot get lost in this city after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment