Thursday, September 19, 2013

I am an Igorot



Gone were the days when Igorots[1] were unjustly  looked down and wrongly perceived as filthy barbaric savages with tails like that of monkeys. The discriminatory perception of Igorots before even resulted to an attitude of disclaiming any relation or affiliation to the Igorot people. Today, much have changed as Igorots find their niche all over the social, political and economic spectrum and the awareness of the mainstream population have been considerably enlightened.

Still, a lot of people in the Philippines have little knowledge about the Igorots or where they come from, their culture and traditions. One of the usual questions when Filipinos meet other people, aside from asking their names, is “taga-saan probinsiya ka?” (which province do you come from?) When I respond with, “Mountain Province”, I get a lot of perplexed facial reactions that can only mean they do not know where the hell that place is; and when I say, “Sagada”, I get a lot of “ahhhs” and “ohhhs” for those who have been to Sagada or who have heard about it and have it on their list of places to visit. Still, a lot of Filipinos do not also know where Sagada is. But if one mentions Baguio, people respond with so much familiarity. This may be attributed to the fact that it has always been a famous destination since the American colonization, and has been so popularly promoted especially when it was referred to as the “Summer Capital” of the Philippines. The familiarity of almost all Filipinos with Baguio City inclined me to just respond with “Baguio City” when people asked me where I come from. Not only that I am legitimately a resident of Baguio City, but more because I wanted to avoid the exasperation of having to deal with people who did not know their geography.

But as I went into the advocacy of indigenous peoples’ rights, I told myself that if I, an Igorot,  was not an instrument in raising the awareness of people about my place and my culture, then who do I expect to do it for me? How would the non-Igorots know about the Igorot people if I did not tell them about it? Since then, every time I get the question, “taga saan ka?”, I always responded with “Sagada, Mt. Province” and sometimes, I would add, “the Cordilleras”. I did not mind if I had to answer more questions of the curious few or the inquisitive bunch or explain that this place is located north of the Philippines to which I get another question – “malapit sa Baguio?” and I would always say, it is six hours away by public bus from Baguio, 4-5 hours if by private car. And guess what? It always does not stop there. The next question would always be, “ahh, so ilocana[2] ka?” (Oh so you are an Ilocana?) To which I would always respond – “No, I am not an Ilocana but I know how to speak the Ilocano[3] language. I am an Igorot.”


[1] The word Igorot, according to the late William Henry Scott, comes from the Spanish words “y” (from the/dwellers of the) “golote” (mountains).
[2] Feminine term for people from the Ilocos Region, North Western part of the Philippines.
[3] Ilocano is the lingua franca in the northern Philippines.

No comments:

Post a Comment